Protect Your Hard Work

Why do I need it?

A small business is a big investment. Money, time, hard work - you've poured a lot into your business. Protect it from the unexpected.

Things To Consider:
What business are you in?
Where are you located?
How are you structured?
Do you have employees?

We're Here To Help
Knowledge is power. Let us share our wealth of information with you. And help you arm your business with the best possible policy for you.

What types of businesses are insured?

This list is a summary of the types of businesses that are eligible for coverage today. We are always working to expand the types of businesses we can insure; so, if there's one you are looking for that is not here – drop us an Email

Offices: Lawyers, Accounting Services, Financial Services, Realtors, Consultants, etc. - Professional Liability excluded

Medical Offices: Acupuncturist, Chiropractor, Podiatrist, Speech Therapist, etc. – Professional Liability excluded

Veterinarians: small animals – Professional Liability offered

Small Retail: Clothing Stores, Toys Stores, Specialty Food Stores, Furniture and Housewares, Electronics, Computers, etc.


Barbers and Beauticians – Professional Liability offered

Funeral Homes – Professional Liability offered

Print Shops – Professional Liability offered

Photographers and Videographers

Landscaping and Lawn Care Services

Optical Goods Stores – Professional Liability offered

Hearing Aid Stores – Professional Liability offered

Auto Parts Stores: no repair or sale of used parts

Residential Cleaners

Sporting Goods Stores: Golf, Ski/Snowboard, Bike Shops, etc.

The stuff everyone gets

Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)

No matter who you choose as an insurance provider, you are going to want an insurance package that protects your business’ property and protects you from liability. Many small businesses will qualify for a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)*, which is a combination of a General Liability policy, a Business Personal Property policy, and – if you own any buildings – a Building policy, plus a handful of additional useful coverages. It sounds like a lot, but they’re all important, which is why they’re usually offered together. While the BOP was designed for certain types of business, don’t worry if yours doesn’t qualify for one – you can still get a great deal on a custom commercial package that’s just right for you.

*The sample shown here may not be the same as your copy in all details. There may be state specific differences. 

General Liability

General Liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability insurance, protects your business from third party claims for damage to someone else’s property, as well as bodily injury and any related medical costs. It covers the defense costs as well as any judgments for covered losses for which your business is held liable, up to your policy limit. All of which is a fancy way of saying: you and your employees have coverage if you get sued for negligence, property damage, injury, or slander.

Business Personal Property

Business Personal Property insurance provides protection for the property you own that is used in your business, tenant’s improvements like fixtures and installations you’ve made to a building that you occupy but don’t own, and includes leased property that you have a responsibility to insure. Examples of business personal property include computers, laptops, printers, furniture and office supplies you own or lease. If your business sells goods or products, Business Personal Property will also cover your inventory held for sale. Coverage is usually at replacement cost.

Additional Coverages Included in the BOP

The stuff everyone can get

Optional Coverages

This list of coverages will apply to most businesses, regardless of its industry. They come into play depending on how your business operates. For example, do you do any business online? If so, check out the Electronic Commerce coverage. Do you have a big, expensive sign out by the street? You may want Outdoor Signs coverage. Read through the list and see if any apply to your business.

This enhances coverage for your own losses related to use of the Internet or other computer-based communications networks in conducting your business. For example, if your system is interrupted by a virus attack, you will be covered for resulting lost revenue and the cost of restoring lost data (as long as anti-virus software was installed at the time of the attack).

This coverage protects you if your equipment is damaged from power surges, mechanical breakdown, burnout, or operator error.

This protects your business when you use a personal or rented vehicle for business-related tasks.

This covers a loss of money or securities by theft, disappearance or destruction. Separate limits apply for losses that occur at your business location and away from your business location.

This coverage protects any outdoor sign that you own, or for which you are responsible.

This pays for loss or damage to your property caused by the interruption of, or faulty utility service to your premises.

This coverage extends the Business Interruption coverage to pay for loss of business income or extra expenses incurred as a result of the interruption of utility service to your premises.

This provides coverage for damage to your property from water which backs up through sewers and drains, or water which overflows from a sump.

Special Situations - I have employees

Employee-Related Optional Coverages

In addition to the BOP optional coverages that apply to most types of businesses, there are more optional coverages to consider if you have people working for you. These may apply to you depending on your industry, how many employees you have, and the benefit packages you offer your employees.

If you provide your employees with benefits plans such as health, life, disability or retirement plans, this would cover you in the case of an administrative error.

This coverage protects your business from financial loss due to the fraudulent activities of an employee or group of employees.

This coverage provides protection for your business from wrongful employment practices claims.

Special Situations - I own my own space

More options for building owners

If you own your own building or commercial condo, this list of building-related coverages applies to you. In fact, if you have an outstanding loan on your property, your lender most likely requires you to carry at least some of these building-related coverages.

This covers the costs of repairing or rebuilding the structure of buildings you own if they are damaged or destroyed, and can also include external features.

If you own a condo unit as part of your business, the Condominium Commercial Unit Owner Endorsement will cover the costs of repairing or rebuilding the areas you own if they are damaged or destroyed (up to your Business Personal Property coverage limit).

This provides coverage to Condo Unit Owners for loss assessments which may be charged by their condo association, as well as coverage for Miscellaneous Real Property (Condo Property specific to the unit) not covered under Business Personal Property.

This covers the potential increased costs of rebuilding, repair or remodeling to current code as these costs are not covered under the basic Building policy.

Professional Services and Other Unique Risks

These optional coverages apply to you if you provide professional services or advice, or are in a business faced with unique risks like the possibility of inventory spoilage or food contamination. Restaurants, produce stands, ice cream parlors, and many other food service providers fall into that latter category of businesses. Read through the list, and see if any of these coverages apply to your business.


This covers Professional Liability specific to your operations as a barber shop or hair salon.

This covers Professional Liability specific to your work as a beautician.

This provides property damage, employee dishonesty, and liability coverage beyond what is provided in your standard BOP. For example, key and lock replacement if you accidentally lose or misplace your clients' keys.

This covers recall costs, loss of profits, and rehabilitation costs following either accidental or malicious contamination (whether actual or threatened).

This covers Professional Liability specific to your services as a funeral director.

This covers Professional Liability specific to services provided by certified/licensed opticians or hearing aid specialists.

This endorsement provides coverage for your photographic equipment anywhere in the world. This is an ideal option for people who travel internationally.

This expands on other coverages to specifically include employees’ photography equipment as well as your photography equipment and some photographer-related liabilities. If you have any individual items of equipment valued in excess of $5,000, you will likely want to schedule those items separately.

This provides expanded liability coverage for your negligent acts, errors or omissions in providing printing services.

This enhances your BOP coverage for things like food contamination, spoilage, and liability.

If you have any individual pieces of photographic equipment valued at more than $5,000, you may wish to explicitly list them on your policy. This endorsement can be used to ensure that you are covered for the full value of these items.

This pays for the loss of perishable stock that is lost as a result of a covered event, up to the limits of your policy.

This covers Professional Liability specific to your work as a veterinarian.